"Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what."

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Proud owners of a Goat...I mean GOATS.

You see, ever since I have known my beloved husband (almost 12 years now) he has loved goats. There is a goat farm by where we live and where he grew up. In the spring when there are lots of baby goats jumping, running, and butting heads, we always have to slow down and take a peek at them, and there is a special little light that twinkles in Jed's eyes while watching them. We've done this for as long as I can remember. He loves them!! 4 years ago when we built our house on a lot with animal rights the first thing he said was, "We can get a goat." I laughed at him. Well, Last Tuesday at around 4:30 Jed came rushing in the door all excited telling us all to get shoes on and come see what he brought home. I jokingly said, "What is it a Pony?" He just smiled and said, "It's not a PONY." For some reason I couldn't figure out what would get him this excited...duh Heather think about it. So he rushed out and low and behold we see this little beauty...A friend of his knew he had wanted a goat so when he heard of a guy needing to get rid of a goat on account of him and his family moving to Haiti. Mike instantly thought of us...? He stopped by Jed's office picked him up and took him to see it. Jed took one look at her and there was NO turning back. He had to bring her home. Shall we say...LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT?

Mike (the giver of the goat), GOAT, and Jed(the proud owner of said goat)


The goat brought a lot of mixed reaction from our little family.

Jed-of course was one of pure JOY and HAPPINESS.
Heather- I could not stop laughing! He honestly brought home a goat? How funny. What are goats even good for?
Christian- So mad. He wouldn't touch her and started crying and went back in the house. I have no idea where that came from.
Jocelyn- Loved it from a distant. She thought it was so cool but wouldn't get too close.

She ( the goat) hadn't been there long when I made the comment that she looked pregnant. The guys started laughing and said, "Yeah, we were kinda thinking that too." So not only did my wonderful husband bring home a goat but possibly a pregnant goat. Too FUNNY and surreal! So obviously we hadn't 'planned' on getting a goat that day. So we had nothing for the poor thing except a field full of grass. She didn't seem to mind, thank goodness goats LOVE weeds. So we tied her up in our back yard and now own a goat. Sadly it rained that night and she wouldn't go under our little makeshift shelter we put up for her, so Jed stressed about her all night and she just stood there, all night, on our cement slab. She wouldn't stand on the grass?. It was kinda sad, but the crazy thing about goats...she didn't seem to care.

Now lets fast forward to the next day at about 4:00 pm. Jed is lovingly looking out the window at 'his' goat and noticed, she's not alone...

So in less than 24 hours from getting a goat, she had a baby, and now we have TWO goats. Jed couldn't be happier. We really thought that she was going to have more then one. All of her other pregnancies she's had triplets, and I guess it's really uncommon for Pygmy goats to only have one. But she only had one and it is the CUTEST thing you have ever seen!!!
Ten minutes after "Millie Goat" was born.


Jocelyn Loving the whole thing. She kept saying, "Baby goat, cute." over and over and over.

Mommy and baby bonding. Notice their new collars. The baby's has a bell. :)

So now we are the PROUD owners of two goats. How funny! The Mommy goat is so mild and good to let the kids maul her and the baby. If you were wondering if Christian ever came around to liking the goat, the answer is a HUGE YES! The morning after we got her he had our window open talking to her in our backyard. And we got another classic Christian quote out of it.

Christian: "Mom, I'm just talking with the goat."
Me: "oh good do you like her now?"
Christian: "Yeah, I love her. But the only thing she has to say to me is "BAAAAAAH."'

Now Christian can't get enough of them, especially the baby. He is out there as often as he can be loving on her, and feeding the Mom. Who needs a dog, when you've got a goat?


Just look at that face! Have you ever seen a happier little boy. Of course we'll keep the goat!



Here she is at TWO days old already running and jumping!




So the goats are here to stay...for now. I guess it's time we get them a permanent home in the back yard. Jed will be busy working on building them a little pen and shelter over the next couple days...weeks? I don't know how long it takes? All are welcome to come visit our little additions and see first hand just how cute they really are, and see why Jed loves them so much.

BONUS: Additional Christian quote, on the goat.

Christian: "I don't ever want to sell our goats. Just in case we sell it to one of those guys that eat them."

Jed's $.02

I must thank Mike, you're a good man. There for a bit, it felt like a Soap Opera we've all seen a hundred times.

A surrogate mother reluctantly has a baby for another woman. Surrogate mother falls in love with baby. Surrogate mother doesn't want to give baby up. Non-surrogate mother is broken-hearted and out a lot of time and money. The two fight it out. Attorneys get involved. Broken hearts abound. The tears flow.

So instead of the two women, just substitute two full grown men.
Instead of the baby, substitute 1-4 pygmy goat kids.


I'm sad she only had one. I would have liked to share in the experience of parenthood with you Mike.


~Jed.








7 comments:

Lacie said...

I'm laughing reading this! I love EVERYTHING about this story!:)

KW said...

This is the funniest thing ever. However I am not surprised that Jed would want a goat for some reason. Heather, good luck with all of this. You are going to have your hands full!!

Shelley Brown said...

That is way too funny! What a great story!

Ashley said...

I am laughing so hard right now! Heather you tell it so perfect. Gosh I love that Shuler family! Goats and all!

Chaotic Monarchy said...

This is something that would only happen to you. I love it. Thanks for the laugh. Maybe I want a goat now too.

April said...

Jed- maybe you and your friend could have joint custody of the baby... You could even turn it into a reality TV series... call it, "It's MY PIGMY!!!" or "Pigmy Parenting"... oh the possibilities are endless. Heather- bless you for taking this new member of the family and loving and mothering it as if it was your own. All except breast feeding right?

Jaime Williams said...

We blogged stocked you and Pete laughed so hard that you guys have goats!! Send me your email if you'd like an invite to our blog, it's private!